Monday, July 04, 2011

Collapse Fashionably—Urgent Update

Update: L's and XL's are all gone! But there are still 75 S's and 45 M's to get rid of... so please do it for the children/large pets/midgets in your life! I'll leave the "donate" button up for another week or so, and after that the the rest of the shirts are going to the donations bin at the Goodwill store.

Update: A few shirts went out with insufficient postage, to the tune of $3. (Apparently, First Class Mail does not automatically mean a First Class Stamp; who knew?) If the Post Office is after you for more money to bail out your shirt, let us know and we'll issue a refund. If you want to complain, please use the comments section below.

Update: The t-shirts have arrived. Boxes of them are piled high in the corner of the marina office (since there is no room for them on the boat). The number of requests I have received to date is less than 10% of the total. However, thanks to several generous donations they have been paid for already, so I am happy to be able to offer the remainder to anyone who'll give me at least $3 $6 (to pay for the bubble mailer and the postage stamp around $3 for 1st class postage, and, of course, the PayPal fee). Think about it: not only will you collapse fashionably, but for less than the cost of laundry! No PayPal account? No problem! Just email me your address and your size, I don't care. The boxes can't stay in the marina office forever, and if we don't send them out promptly their next destination after that will be the Salvation Army and the goodwill store. Please send us a follow-up email to indicate the size: S/M only; the rest are all gone. /L/XL. No XXL, but if you want I can stretch an XL on a sail-bag for you.

Please note: Please indicate shirt size (S or M) in a follow-up email.

I am happy to be able to offer you a curious memento of our rapidly passing age: the Reinventing Collapse t-shirt. The shirts are being printed and I will start sending them out in a couple of weeks. If you would like to reserve one, click the "Donate" button above. It will take at least US$20 to defray the costs (a bit more for international shipping, please).

I would like to thank EJ at New Society Publishing and Nina who did the design for bringing this monumental effort to fruition.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious!

Patrick said...

This is great! The revolution will not be televised… but the collapse will be printed onto tee-shirts!

EXP/LAB said...

Hey, at least they are something useful! In the coming collapse, only the T-Shirt makers will survive.

I'm just trying to decide if one will make me look swank while hoisting the black flag?

Anonymous said...

Sorry DO, I will keep my $20. My household is going to go for the "clothes optional" look.

My donkey said...

Were the shirts made in USA?

Dmitry Orlov said...

Yes, my donkey, they were made quite locally. When they are ready, I'll pick them up on my bicycle, then walk them to the post office.

My donkey said...

It's good to hear the shirts were made in USA. Some American-based companies such as Hanes have been known to outsource their production to factories around the world.

Peter said...

Fantastic.

You could produce a Collapse Range of tees:

Civilization collapsed and all I got was this t-shirt.

This shirt for barter: 2 cans of food.

[picture of barrel of oil] Nostalgia


This is an idea whose time has come. Inspiring. And depressingly funny :)

DanT said...

any chance for a size XXL

Lidia17 said...

DanT, no.

It is previewed that we will all lose weight such that XXL sizes will no longer be necessary.

BrandFeelsGood said...

Hey Orlov, help me buy a dingy! Collapse in style with a vodka shot glass, mug or thong (made in the USA, get it while it lasts!)

Collapse gear at Henry Harrison:
http://www.cafepress.com/HenryHarrison

Anonymous said...

Wow, the last time I felt this good about a clothing deal was when I sold some blue jeans to a black marketeer in the USSR!

Have been severely under-employed for almost a year-- it'll be good to have a new shirt. Thanks.

brell said...

awwwwsome!!! i will get a few :P

oh and for you: http://web.media.mit.edu/~tim/pix/cuba.html

brell said...

for my fellow poor shoppers, try "jeremy's" in sfbay or otherwise clothes swap w/ friends or "re-fashion" existing clothes or goodwill. sad thing is clothiers didnt get a bailout so i got $90 (2008) polos for $1.60 recently...

LJ said...

Any left? I need to make a collapsing t-shirt army in Romania! Actually for just two how much would the postage be? Cheers.

Paddywack said...

Hi,
where do I email my details to.
Regards to all.
michael

Dmitry Orlov said...

Either click "reply" to your PayPal confirmation email, or get my email from the Contact section over on the right.

Dr. Doom said...

Kollapsenick,

I am having the usual troubles with PayPal. It doesn't quite remember me. I will continue trying. Meanwhile, you have my coordinates and request for T-shirts. I note there has been some price inflation since your first discount offer. I suppose this is fitting in this day and age.

Erin Parsley said...

will those that ordered @ the $3 still get the T-shirts at that price?

said...

Yep, those things can happen.

KD said...

Any onesies for baby? :)

Logan said...

Got my package, Mr. O, thanks for the prompt delivery. How marvelous to acquire the sartorial confidence to meet my social decline. Bless you.

Hairfarm said...

Quote: "Update: L's and XL's are all gone! But there are still 75 S's and 45 M's to get rid of... "

Hold onto those smaller sizes and just be patient. After a few years of collapse-style food-rationing, those smaller size sizes may one day eventually fit the "plump American". You could use them for trade!

Just sayin'.